Whether this is your first Mindful Outdoor Experience (MOE) or you’ve taken this journey with me before, this checklist will help you prepare. It is written specifically for an Experience at the Barre City Cow Pasture.
We will be outside the entire time. We’ll be walking mostly on dirt trails which may or may not be dry. We will be walking both uphill and down at a slow to medium pace and, at times, sitting on the ground.
There will be a general description, but not much specific identification, of the plant and animal life in this space.
What to Bring
Check the forecast and dress in layers.
- Synthetic clothing works well in the Northeast. Cotton will not keep you warm if it is wet
- Wear boots or sturdy sneakers
- Bring a fleece or another type of jacket if you have doubts about staying warm. Bring a raincoat or poncho if you have doubts about staying dry
- You might want a hat and/or sunglasses
You might also want:
- a small daypack or belt bag
- bug spray (tick repellent)
- a hat and/or sunglasses
- a foam pad, small blanket, towel, or a small camp chair if you prefer not to sit directly on the ground
A gentle reminder: You will have to carry these items yourself.
You are responsible for bringing any medications you might need, including an Epipen.
What (Not) to Do
This outing is not the time for
- fast hiking or running
- lots of picture taking
- texting or engaging in phone calls
- being with your pet (be aware there may be other people using this space to walk dogs)
Where to Go
There is no public bathroom. Be prepared for that and remember to practice the principles of Leave No Trace. (In particular, if you use some toilet paper don’t leave it on the ground. Pack it out.)
Where to Meet
We’ll meet at the top of Maplewood Avenue. There is a small parking lot and parking along the street. Please do not block driveways. Consider walking if you live in town. Parking and Trail Map here.